A training event for pastors, church staff, and lay ministry leaders
June 4, 2009
Changes in society and the advent of the Internet have led to an epidemic of sexual struggle around the world. All are vulnerable, huge numbers of people are struggling, and for many the struggle has developed into a full-blown addiction. Church leaders are looking for ways of helping people caught in the web of compulsive sexual behavior. Our vision at Recovery Remixed is to provide teaching and guidance not only to sexual strugglers, but also to the ministry leaders who seek to help them. So we are jointly sponsoring this training event with Faithful and True Ministries for pastors, church staff, and ministry leaders.
Many people needlessly suffer because the church leaders providing teaching and care to them have limited knowledge about sex addiction /compulsive behavior and inadequate approaches to dealing with it. We want to present the findings from the latest research and our experience in working with strugglers, in the hope that more can be done to stem the tide of this growing problem.
Register today for this important training event for pastors and church leaders.
What is it?
Helping the Sexual Strugglers is a one-day training event for pastors, church staff, and small group leaders. The primary facilitator of this workshop is Rev. Mark Brouwer, director of training for Faithful and True Ministries, and writer of the blog sexual-sanity.com. Dr. Mark Laaser will also teach for part of the day, presenting his learnings from over 20 years experience of helping addicts find recovery in hospitals, treatment facilities, and private practice.
When and where will it take place?
• Date: June 4 (Thursday)
• Time: 9am to 4pm
• Location: Faithful and True Counseling Center, Eden Prairie, Minnesota.
How much will it cost?
Cost for event is $59.
Who should come?
- Senior Pastors who want to find ways of building church ministries to help a growing number of parishoners struggling with their sexual behaviors
- Staff pastors who oversee men’s and women’s and recovery ministries
- Shepherding pastors who oversee counseling, marriage ministries, or pastoral care in their churches
- Youth pastors who want to learn more about this growing youth ministry trend
- LIFE Group leaders, or Celebrate Recovery Leaders who want to learn more about addiction and how to lead others in recovery
- Parachurch leaders and denominational executives who want to learn how to protect and care for leaders who struggle with addiction
What will I learn?
- How to understand the nature of sexual struggle, and how it manifests itself in compulsive behaviors and addiction
- Understanding the three different kinds of people in your church who are impacted by sexual challenges (sexually vulnerable, sexual strugglers, and sexually dependent), and how to minister to them
- Why it’s so hard for churches to deal openly and honestly about sexual struggle … and what to do about it
- Strategies for churches to protect themselves from predators and the moral failure of leaders, while at the same time dealing openly and gracefully with sexual struggle
- Strategies for church leaders to protect themselves from getting sucked into compulsive sexual behavior, and how to go about recovery if they already are
- Best practices for ministries and effective groups that deal with sexual struggle
For any questions, or information about registering for this event, contact Mark Brouwer at 952-746-3885, or email him at: mark(at)markbrouwer(dot)com.
* Note: this article was originally written to publicize this training event in February. We’ve updated it to include the new dates for the second offering of this quarterly training event.